Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fun With Simple Combos

From I Remember Banding Magic Blog.

Hayden here, this is a fun post from the I Remember Banding blog filled with very simple, yet entertaining combos.


It’s pretty hard to get a 2 card win condition.  I just stick with casual games, so normally I try for some weird “synergies” between cards.

This might look a little “WELL DUH!”, but Liquimetal Coating is TARGET PERMANENT becomes an artifact in addition to its other types.
Why, that’s a nice enchantment you have over there.  I will destroy it with red mana.
*Head Asplode*

Whatever you do in life, don’t get old.
I had these two cards in a EDH deck for completely different reasons, and it just so happened one game I had both out.  I was staring down at my cards waiting for my turn and it slowly began to dawn on me, “Maybe I should equip my titan with this flail and attack for some reason.”
Oh hey, When I attack I can choose to destroy up to three creatures now.
Senior moments are the worst.

Do you want the defending player to lose half their life or destroy whatever is bothering you?
Throw Fireshrieker in the mix for additional fun.
For rules clarification, the guerrillas ability is now an activated ability.

Technically it’s a 2 card win condition, you just need some way to kill the thief.

Opposition turns your creatures into multiple Icy Manipulators and they untap every turn thanks to the muse.  You can tap your opponents land at the end of their upkeep.  Even tapping 2-3 land is pretty crippling.  Not to mention locking down creatures.
It might not seem all that and a bag of chips, but you should try it out.

It’s not infinite or anything AND it requires creatures to be in the graveyard (beyond the initial tap)…but I played a lot of multiplayer during the time of Alliances and this was a pretty potent combo to pump something else up.

Lemme learn you on what is going on here.  Cumulative Upkeep was reworded to putting a counter on itself.  Tornado here in particular, gets a “velocity” counter after you use it’s ability.  You eat the counters with Hex Parasite for a repeatable Desert Twister once a turn.
Did your head asplode again from the idea of a card being able to put 2 different types of counters on itself?  Think about it.

My friend who first got me into Magic was all about the War-Riders.  He tried 7 ways from Sunday to “break” them.

It wasn’t happening.

His favorite thing to do was use Æther Storm to “stop” you from casting creatures, wait until there were a couple red survivor tokens out, then cast Psychic Allergy.

Only problem was we didn’t understand token rules back in the day, so technically Psychic Allergy never worked.  Not to mention never having enough islands to sacrifice.

He was all about overly complicated combos.

All these years later, Blood Seeker is a more effective combo with them.  I made a “tribute deck” to him since he no longer has his cards.

It’s a silly deck, but a War-Rider with Grafted Wargear is pretty dangerous even by modern Magic standards. Let alone a constant life drain from the Blood Seeker

No comments:

Post a Comment