Friday, January 28, 2011

The Great Commons Tournament of '04

While in Florida visiting some friends, we had the idea to do a five player round robin style common only deck tournament.

To accomplish this, we bought a 5000 card box of commons from a local hobby shop. There were roughly 1000 commons of each color. Each of us was randomly assigned a color, given 20 minutes to build a deck, then have at it.

Now when I say commons only, I mean no rares. the box had plenty of uncommons in it.

My color was blue, and my strategy revolved around Ninjutsu creatures and bounce cards. The main combo was to use a High Tide or two, cast as many other blues spells as possible, then use Temporal Fissure to bounce all my opponents permanents back to their hand.

Temporal Fissure    High Tide   Ninja of the Deep Hours    Mistblade Shinobi

It worked pretty well actually, eventhough I only finished 6-5. I beat every opponent 2-1 except for Jace, who's Black deck beat me 2-0. The tournament was pretty even across the board, except of course for poor Gabriel Angelfire, who was new to Magic. Sorin would be the eventual inner, eventhough I beat him 2-1, he did beat every other player. Jace was second, I finished third, Seht (who had been playing Red) was fourth, and poor Gabriel, who was Green, didn't win a single game.

The tournament was a roaring success, everyone had a blast and wa spermitted to keep their decks. Ironically, once my was updated with a few better creatures and spells (though the strategy and High Tide/Spells/Temporal Fissure combo remained in place) the deck was actually really good, and really tough to beat.

Thats all for now.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment