Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fight Club at Daily MTG

Fight Club, Part 2

Last week was Battle Cry Week here at magicthegathering.com, so I decided to talk about combat mechanics. As I dug into the nitty-gritty of how they were designed I found that I kept hitting upon key points about larger Magic design issues. I realized I was touching upon one of my design truisms: In the micro lies the macro. The idea behind this truism is that good design permeates a set from its largest components down to its smallest. If you want to see what makes a game tick, you can just as easily look at the smallest details as the big picture. Today is Part 2 of last week's column. I strongly urge you to read Part 1 if you haven't, as Part 2 assumes you have.

Check out the rest by clicking on the title of the piece. And be sure to check out Part 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment